Nothing begs the question "Really?" more than the phone call we received Sunday evening informing us the schools would be closed today due to anticipated inclement weather and road conditions. Granted, there is quite a storm whalloping the Midwest at the moment and I agree with the school's decision to close... but still.
We are just coming off of two very full weeks of Winter break, and everybody (I mean everybody) is ready to get back to our routine. Alas, that will have to wait another day. Or two. To keep the peace and hopefully sustain the cheery good times around here, I have pulled together a few ideas of what we can do today:
- One of the girls is really interested in learning to sew on the machine, and I was thinking a simple raw edge garland like this one from BHLDN using fabrics of her choosing would be a great way for her to personalize her décor + practice her straight stitch a bit.
- We all could use some new wool mittens, especially me. Casting on a similar pair for myself might be the perfect snow day retreat I need. And I am pretty sure I have a half-done pair around here somewhere.
- Of course, there will be hot cocoa with plenty of marshmallows.
- I hope to do a bit of work-related planning in a pretty new moleskine notebook (even prettier adorned with a hexagon). Anyone used Bullet Journaling for creative pursuits?
- We may very well have the ingredients on hand to whip up a modest batch of Peppermint Bark Popcorn in the afternoon to accompany a movie.
- The girls each received an awesome Suzy Ultman needlepoint kit from Land of Nod for Christmas, and a snow day sounds like the perfect time to get them started on a canvas of their choosing.
- I brought in a whole bunch of firewood that will (hopefully) dry out a bit so we can enjoy a cozy fire.
- We'll take the dog for a few walks in the cold. Brief + brisk, for sure.
- And I can guarantee there will be a whole lot of imaginary play, too.
I almost forgot the thrill + excitement that a snow day brings. xoxo